Review Article of Scientific Research and Reviews
Research progress of EDI in water treatment and Membrane fouling
Ju Jiaqi, Wang Bo, Hu Chao, Wei Fuqiang, Chen Heying, Wang Ying
College of Ocean Science and Engineering，Shanghai Maritime University，Shanghai 201306, China.
In Electrodeionization is used in various water treatments due to its low energy consumption, high efficiency and cleanliness. The application of EDI in various water treatments, including heavy metal wastewater, ammonia nitrogen wastewater, salty wastewater, and organic wastewater purification, are reviewed. Ion exchange resins and membranes are important factors influencing the performance of EDI. The research progress on ion exchange resins and membranes in EDI is described, focusing on the solution to the membrane fouling problem in EDI process. Reducing and preventing membrane pollution in EDI is the focus of current research. Solving membrane pollution problem will greatly promote the development and application of EDI.
Keywords: Electrodeionization; Ion exchange resin; Membrane fouling
How to cite this article:
Ju Jiaqi, Wang Bo, Hu Chao, Wei Fuqiang, Chen Heying, Wang Ying. Research progress of EDI in water treatment and Membrane fouling. Scientific Research and Reviews, 2019, 12:106. DOI:10.28933/srr-2019-05-2507
1. Matějka, Z. Continuous production of high-purity water by electrodeionization[J]. Journal of Applied Chemistry and Biotechnology, 2007, 21(4):117-120.
2. Fu L , Wang J , Su Y. Removal of low concentrations of hardness ions from aqueous solutions using electrodeionization process[J]. Separation & Purification Technology, 2009,68 (3):390-396.
3. Xu Xiaoqing. Research of Heavy Metal Waste-water Treatment by Electrodeionization Technology[D]. Zhejiang university, 2013.
4. Feng X , Gao J S , Wu Z C . Removal of Cop-per Ions from Electroplating Rinse Water Using Electrodeionization[J]. Journal of Zhejiang University（Science） A, 2008,9a(9):1283-128 7.
5. Alvarado, Lucía, Torres, Israel Rodríguez, Ch-en A . Integration of ion exchange and electrodeionization as a new approach for the continuous treatment of hexavalent chromium wa-wastewater[J]. Separation and Purification Technology, 2013, 105(Complete):55-62.
6. Taghdirian H R , Moheb A , Mehdipour Ghazi M . Selective separation of Ni(II)/Co(II) ions from dilute aqueous solutions using continuous electrodeionization in the presence of EDTA[J]. J-ournal of Membrane Science, 2010,362(1-2): 68-75.
7. Yan Guogai. Removal and concentration of phosphate and ammonia ions in water by electrodeionization[D].Beijing Forestry University,2 016.
8. Zhang Zhaoyang, Aicheng Chen.Simultaneous removal of nitrate and hardness ions from groundwater using electrodeionization[J].Separation and Purification Technology.2016(164)1
9. Jiang Bei, Xue Zhang, Xuan Zhao, Fuzhi Li.R-Removal of high level boron in aqueous solutions using continuous electrodeionization(C-EDI)[J].Separation and Purification Technology.2018,192:297-301
10. Zheng Haoyue.Xiao Gong.Concentration of nitrogen as new energy source from wastewater by electrodeionization[J].Energy Procedia.201 7,142:1421-1426
11. Yu P , Zhu Z , Luo Y , et al. Purification of caprolactam by means of an electrodeionization technique[J]. Desalination, 2005,174(3):231-2 35.
12. Sun F Z, Wei G, Du H, et al. Performance of continuous electrodeionization technique during the purification of the nonaqueous organic solvent N,N-dimethylformamide[J]. Separation and Purification Technology, 2018,199:242-25 0.
13. Dimascio,G.C.Ganzi. Alternating layers of an-ion and cation exchange resins are positioned in an ion deleting compartment;US,US585819 1A[P].1999.
14. Liu F, Zhang G, Zhang H, et al. Performance evaluation of electrodeionization process based on ionic equilibrium with plate and frame modules[J]. Desalination, 2008,221(1-3):425-432.
15. Wang Y Z , Jianyou W , Zhiqiang W , et al. Influences of ion exchange resins characteristics on concentration and separation of nickel-containing solution by electrodeionization process[J]. Technology of Water Treatment, 2015, 41:78-88.
16. Yeon K H , Song J H , Moon S H . A study on stack configuration of continuous electrodeionization for removal of heavy metal ions from the primary coolant of a nuclear power plant[J].
Water Research, 2004, 38(7):1911-1921.
17. Pan S Y , Snyder S W , Ma H W , et al. Energy-efficient resin wafer electrodeionization for impaired water reclamation[J]. Journal of Cleaner Production, 2018, 174:1464-1474.
18. Su Q , Nakanishi S , Saito T , et al. Method and apparatus for scale prevention in producing deionized water[J]. 1998.
19. Kuwata Masahiro. Electrodeionization appa-ratus:US,6274019[P].2001.
20. D.F.Tessier,Tom Kosir,Steve Siverns, et al.Method and apparatus for reducing scaling in electrodeionization systems and for improving efficiency thereof:US,6056878[P].2000.
21. Yang Yang.Removal and concentration of nitrogen/phosphate/carbonate salts for reuse by electrodeionization based technology[D].Zhejiang university,2016.
22. Wang B, Zhou Z, Zeng J. Scaling problem and preventing measures of electrodeionization pr process[J]. Technology of Water Treatment,20 10, 36:120-123.
23. Dong H , Jian-You W , Yan-Fang B , et al. Concentrating Dilute Nickel-Containing Solution by Using Coupled “Bipolar Membrane-Electro-deionization”Process[J]. Journal of Chemical Engineering of Chinese Universities, 2011, 25(6):929-933.
24. Dong H , Jianyou W , Huixia L , et al. Nickel io-ns-containing solution treatment by ‘BPM-EDI’ coupled process[J]. Sciencepaper Online,201 10, 5:341-346.
25. Chao Y M , Liang T M . A feasibility study of industrial wastewater recovery using electrodialysis reversal[J]. Desalination, 2008,221(1-3):433-439.
26. Lee H J , Hong M K , Moon S H . A feasibility study on water softening by electrodeionization with the periodic polarity change[J]. Desalination, 2012, 284(none):221-227.
27. Lee H J , Song J H , Moon S H . Comparison of electrodialysis reversal (EDR) and electro-deionization reversal (EDIR) for water softening[J]. Desalination, 2013, 314(4):43-49.
28. Lu H , Wang Y , Wang J . Removal and recovery of Ni2+ from electroplating rinse water using electrodeionization reversal[J]. Desalination, 2014, 348:74-81.